Two more markets I overlooked in the UPN/WB merger...

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jan 24 22:43:12 EST 2006

At 09:18 PM 1/24/2006, Doug Drown wrote:
>I wonder whether CBS will sell off some of its former UPN "O & O"s, such as
>WSBK.  Why would CBS want to own indies?

Why wouldn't it? They're dirt cheap to run (most of the staff and all
of the facilities are shared with WBZ-TV), they're profitable even
without the 12 hours a week of prime time that UPN provided, they can
share programming with WBZ (expect a Dr. Phil rerun in prime-time),
and they'd be hard to sell as separate stations now, since the buyer
would have to build brand new studio facilities. (The old WSBK
studios on Leo Birmingham Parkway are now being used by WBCN and
WODS, after all...)