Candlepin Bowling Returns To Boston Over the Air TV March 4th

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Mon Jan 23 17:20:15 EST 2006

John J. Francini wrote:

>A good and rather thorough article, though I believe they have a small
>factual error about the Channel 5 show.  I remember vividly that for many
>years it was taped not at Sammy White's, but at the Wollaston Boulevard
>Bowladrome in Quincy.

   I don't recall the Channel 5 show ever being taped at the Wollaston lanes
in Quincy. The first year or two of "Candlepins For Cash" on then WNAC
Channel 7 were taped at Wollaston, then moved to the 2 lane bowling alley
built in the Channel 7 parking garage in Government Center. After Channel 7
cancelled "Cash" it was picked up a few months later by then WXNE Channel
25, with a new host, former Red Sox player Rico Petrocelli, and WXNE's
"Cash" was taped at the Wal-Lex lanes. The WXNE version didn't last more
than a year IIRC.

   Channel 5's "Candlepin Bowling" originally aired from a basement bowling
alley next to Fenway Park, on the corner of Brookline Ave & either Lansdowne
St. or Yawkey Way. later it moved to Sammy White's in Brighton, which IIRC
closed rather abruptly after a multiple murder took place there. Then the
show moved to the Fairway Lanes in Natick where it remained till the end.

Mark Watson