And the flip has happened...

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Fri Dec 1 18:10:22 EST 2006

On 1 Dec 2006 at 17:15, Scott Fybush wrote:

> Not being within listening range of either one, I got to experience
> the Big Flip through the magic of streaming audio. WCRB's stream was
> rock-solid, high quality, and very compatible with Firefox. WKLB's was
> rebuffering on a regular basis, and forced me into IE (and to register
> for their "Listener Club") to get it at all. Given the vagaries of
> Internet "propagation," I didn't expect to hear both flips in perfect
> synch (I was listening to WCRB on my desktop machine and WKLB on the
> laptop :-), but both hit very close to each other at about 12:02 for
> me. It was, obviously, impossible for me to tell when the actual
> frequency shifts happened, since the streams followed the program
> source for each station, but it was fun to be a part of the action
> from a distance, at least.

I think it actually happened about a minute before noon.  102.5 had a
bit of dead air before the shift.  Since  I believe all the liners
are pre-recorded on WCRB (and maybe on WKLB as well), it's not
surprising that this thing didn't take place more smoothly.  The
people flipping the switches probably weren't monitoring either
signal, which is why the WKLB flip took place before the National
Anthem finished.  Since there was a moment of dead air after the
National Anthem, I assume that was when the flip was intended to take
place.

I also noticed that last night, WCRB started saying that they would
be moving to 99.5 "at noon today" about five minutes before midnight,
when it wasn't "today" quite yet.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581