Gr. Media Press release

Sean Smyth ssmyth@suscom.net
Tue Aug 1 14:24:21 EDT 2006

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 13:56:04 -0400
 "A. Joseph Ross" <Joe@attorneyross.com> wrote:
>That's a quibble.  According to their press release, they made
>an
>effort to preserve the classical format in Boston by looking
>for a
>buyer who would do so, instead of just looking for the most
>lucrative
>deal.  We had never previously had any indication that they
>cared
>enough even to do that, and I wondered what their motivation
>was.

We did have indications of that before -- it was Greater Media
that offered WERS $10 million per year to run classical. Part
of that deal also may have involved a call-letter change,
though I can't recall. I think Greater/Charles River were more
concerned about trying to side-step any potential challenge of
the trust agreement that allegedly called for classical to
remain in place for 99 years after Ted Jones' death.

Speaking of which ... there was no mention of placing classical
music on 102.5's HD2 channel. Undoubtedly, 99.5's main channel
would have a much wider reach, but placing classical on 102.5's
HD2 channel also might help ward off legal challenges from
those saying that 99.5's signal doesn't get into Boston very
well.