Boston Globe Item on WERS LMA Proposal

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sat Apr 8 17:47:49 EDT 2006

I could have read too hastily, but I thought I read that Smyth was offering
Emerson $10 million PER YEAR to LMA WERS. Now if that's what I really read
and that's what he offered the college, he's really got some 'splainin' to
do. WCRB's revenues in 2004 were reported to be only about $8 million (maybe
$8.5). Especially if he got the students involved, WERS could be run for a
fraction of what it had cost to run WCRB. And he certainly could bring in
some decent revenues from underwriting on WERS. But he was still proposing
to take more than $5 million per year out of GM's pockets to make its $100
million investment in WCRB work out. What are the chances that he could find
a format for 102.5 that would yield more than $5 million/year in net profit?
How many of GM's Boston stations net more than $5 million/year? WMJX almost
certainly does. I'd be surprised if WBOS and WTKK do. I suspect that if 99.5
and 105.7 each net $5 million per year, GM is quite happy with their
performance. It seems to me that Smyth would have proposed a $10 million per
year lease of a non-commercial station only if the deal for WCRB had been in
jeopardy--most likely from somebody challenging the arrangements for
breaking Ted Jones's trust. Then there's the issue of the acquisition
putting GM at least temporarily over the ownership cap. I'm beginning to
think we shouldn't view this sale as a done deal until the FCC has approved
it and the ink is dry on all of the papers that govern the transfer of
control.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367