Boston Globe Item on WERS LMA Proposal

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Apr 9 01:27:01 EDT 2006

On 8 Apr 2006 at 17:47, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> But he was still proposing to take more than $5
> million per year out of GM's pockets to make its $100 million
> investment in WCRB work out. What are the chances that he could find a
> format for 102.5 that would yield more than $5 million/year in net
> profit? How many of GM's Boston stations net more than $5
> million/year? WMJX almost certainly does. I'd be surprised if WBOS and
> WTKK do. I suspect that if 99.5 and 105.7 each net $5 million per
> year,

If that's the case, and WCRB makes $8 million, why would GM want to
drop the classical format?

> GM is quite happy with their performance. It seems to me that
> Smyth would have proposed a $10 million per year lease of a
> non-commercial station only if the deal for WCRB had been in
> jeopardy--most likely from somebody challenging the arrangements for
> breaking Ted Jones's trust.

Just what I'm thinking.  That trust was set up to keep WCRB
classical, and I don't think it's going to be that easy to break.
What I'm wondering is who has the right to enforce the trust and what
can GM do to get them to back off from doing so.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581