Dick Gordon To Host Show From North Carolina

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Mon Nov 7 12:25:25 EST 2005

>But to give one point for comparison: Penn's WXPN has an annual budget
>of $5-6 million, and about half of that comes from listeners.  I was
>hoping to be able to find comparable numbers for WRTI, to do an
>apples-to-apples comparison (not possible in our market because of the
>great disparity of signals), but I couldn't find anything.

I think that might be more of an apples-to-tangelos comparison, or
somesuch, since WRTI is an unusual hybrid of classical and jazz, 12 hours
of one and 12 of the other. Absent some sort of an internal breakdown of
which timeslots draw the greater number of membership pledges, I'm not sure
how you'd attribute the numbers there. (WRTI ceased being a straight jazz
outlet when WFLN went away in 1995...)

I suspect the best comparison might be in Los Angeles, where KKJZ's jazz,
KCRW's AAA/news mix, KUSC's classical and KPCC's news/talk all compete for
member support on signals that are not entirely comparable, but at least
not quite as wildly disparate as Boston.

On a smaller scale, Asheville (AAA WNCW vs. classical/news WCQS) might also
be instructive on that point.