Dick Gordon To Host Show From North Carolina

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Mon Nov 7 12:05:22 EST 2005

<<On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 16:28:39 -0500, "Dan Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net> said:

> Acoustic music, such as WUMB et al carries by day, is on so few stations
> that there probably are no valid statistics on the generosity (or lack
> thereof) of acoustic-music listeners. Still, it would be interesting to know
> how the acoustic-music audience compares in giving to the jazz
> audience.

Statistics, perhaps not, although I'm certain WGBH knows how much
money they get per hour of folk versus news, classical, jazz, and
blues.

But to give one point for comparison: Penn's WXPN has an annual budget
of $5-6 million, and about half of that comes from listeners.  I was
hoping to be able to find comparable numbers for WRTI, to do an
apples-to-apples comparison (not possible in our market because of the
great disparity of signals), but I couldn't find anything.  (Federal
law requires that stations receiving CPB funding make financial
reports available to the public, but no more so than the FCC requires
Public Files to be, so most stations just stick their financial
reports in the public file.)

-GAWollman