(no subject)

radiotony radiotony@comcast.net
Tue May 17 20:20:12 EDT 2005

While I don't know this to be true, I wasn't at Gitmo, there have been a
number of allegations
about similar incidents to the about the Quran issue and Gitmo. A number of
the reports have
been filed by former prisoners at Gitmo.

One incident, reported in the NYT, May 1, 2005, alleges that American
soldiers threw
Qurans down in a pile and stepped on them in March 2002. This prompted a
hunger strike.
Here is a fair use quote:  "A former interrogator at Guantanamo, in an
interview with the Times,
confirmed the accounts of the hunger strikes, including the public
expression of regret over the
treatment of the Korans."

Former Gitmo prisoners reported similar allegations to the The Guardian out
of the UK
reported similar allegations on Dec. 3, 2003, and the Daily Mirror, on March
12, 2004.
The toilet incident was reported in the Washington Post in a 2003 interview
with a former
detainee from Afghanistan.

There are other stories as well on the Web with link sourcing of previous
claims in other articles.
These allegations are nothing new and Newsweek is hardly to blame for the
rage of the Islamic
world for one paragraph.

To keep this on the media and radio front, what really surprises me is the
life this who thing has
taken on the air. It has been on the air for days now. It's had more legs
than the revelation from the
British memos that PROVE the Bush administration lied about Iraq. That
wasn't anywhere on the
radio and yet this thing has not died. This administration, which has
basically lied about everything
since they have been in there, hasn't repaired any of the damage their
actions have done to the world.
Newsweek's source may have backed off the claim but that doesn't mean that
they were inaccurate
or lying in their report. They went with the story they had at the time. I
don't think Newsweek should
do anything.

Best,
Anthony Schinella
News Director/A&E Host at WKXL 1450
Celebrating Concord, N.H. & the Capital Region
with thoughtful community radio
http://www.wkxl1450.com
http://politizine.blogspot.com