(no subject)

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Tue May 17 13:00:10 EDT 2005

>Keating wrote--
>Second, everyone here should be listening to John Loftus reporting on the
>superb John Batchelor show on RKO. John Loftus has spoken with the
>principals and Newsweek's error was that the prisoners themselves were
>doing the Koran destruction, and there was another incident, not involving
>the Koran. The reporter's source got confused between the two, and made an
>error.

Yes but stories of brutish and bigoted tactics by interrogators HAVE been
verified in the past. Given what was done at Abu Ghraib and what has been
done in extreme secrecy at Guantanamo Bay by interrogators who in one case
used sexually suggestive tactics (like putting fake menstrual blood on a
detainee and then not permitting him to wash before prayer), and given that
released prisoners HAVE asserted that their holy book was mocked and
desecrated as a tactic to break their will, there is a larger question
here. It's easy to pile on and blame Newsweek, but riddle me this: if
prisoners ("detainees") can be held for 3 years with no charges and nobody
is permitted to see how they are being treated, doesn't this lend itself to
abuse?  I don't care if these are the worst people in the history of
humanity-- the fact that we are not allowed to know what is being done to
them so many years after 9/11 is not healthy for a country that is supposed
to be a democracy.  If they are guilty of something, charge them and send
them to trial.  If they are not guilty, send them back to their
countries.  But the media are the watchdogs of a democratic society.  Not
allowing them to do their job, and then condemning them if they get
something wrong, is hypocritical.  All political leaders try to keep the
press at bay at one time or another.  But in this case, it's a bad
situation and Newsweek's error,  compounded by excessive secrecy from this
administration, is just fueling radicals in other countries who will use
any excuse to riot.