WCOP circa 1961 aircheck

Joseph Pappalardo joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com
Sun Mar 13 02:22:37 EST 2005

I caught the aircheck of Pat Patterson (aka, "Fat Pat" and "Mr's Patterson's
oldest and heaviest child"!) on WCOP in 1961 on the Northeast Airchecks web
site:

 http://northeastairchecks.com/

Just curious....what years would have been WCOP's most sucessful years.

I recall that in the late 70's 1150AM went thru numerous format
changes...(Anyone remember WACQ?)

Right now when I listen to 1150AM in downtown Boston at night, I can
sometimes hear another station battling it in the background...and this is
in downtown Boston!)

Was the signal always bad?

I suppose the call letters 'COP had to do with COPley Square?

Did they ever have a studio there?

I was suprised not to hear any network newcasts on that 1961 aircheck.  I
would have thought that a station like WCOP would have been dependent on a
network.

HAs WCOP always been thought of as an "also ran"?  Did the public always
think of this station as a 'second rate' effort?

With all that, I was suprised how good this aircheck was!  Pretty
entertaining for 1961!  I can't imagine that WNAC was doing anything much
better in 1961.  What was NAC, HDH and BZ Doing in '61?)

And if you haven't listened to the aircheck you might enjoy it at:

http://northeastairchecks.com/

It's about 18 minutes....

JP