Is the Boston Herald replacing Dean Johnson?

donkelley@aol.com donkelley@aol.com
Fri Jun 17 22:12:06 EDT 2005

Well, now...there's a perfect example of the disparaging and clueless comments I was talking about.  I have no idea about Mr. Glavin's radio background, if he actually has any, and it's of no consequence anyway.

Here's the clueless example:  Mr. Glavin says he had "an occasional unwanted exposure to the late WSSH-FM 99.5 before it was gobbled up by G.M."   Any idea when Wish went away?  December, 1995.  Ten years ago this fall.  "G.M.," as he calls us, (Greater Media, Inc. is actually known as GMI, by the way) did not gobble up Wish.  Magic actually ran them out of the format.  They switched to "Smooth Jazz as WOAZ, 99.5 The Oasis" and we acquired the station two years later.

By the way, Magic has not run the Teri Garr "ssh" spot for four years.  That spot, though, is the most successful TV spot ever run for a radio station in Boston.  We ran it for six years during every Spring and Fall Book and we were #1 in 11 of 12.

Disparaging example:  I shouldn't even bother to respond to Mr. Glavin's assertion that "not many people have a strong feeling about it"...but I will merely note that Magic 106.7 has been #1 25-54 thirty-seven times in the last 15 years.  The closest any other station comes to that is WEEI with four #1's.  Well over a half-million people each week have strong enough feelings about the station to write it down in their diary.

My point in the original posting was to comment that Dean Johnson's reporting skills were stronger when he focused on the rock work than when he focused on the pop world.

One would think that the Boston Radio Interest Group would welcome comments and posts from major market programmers.  Responses such as the one from Mr. Glavin - calling the #1 station "vapid" based on a forced occasion of listening some ten years ago - will only result in those prorammers blowing off the list.

Is that the interest of the list?

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurence Glavin <lglavin@lycos.com>
To: donkelley@aol.com; kc1ih@mac.com; boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
Sent: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:24:23 -0500
Subject: Re: Is the Boston Herald replacing Dean Johnson?

Oooo...Mr. Kelley is getting a little touchy again!  This "#1"
station to which he refers must be the vertical-finger-under-the-nose
(to designate the command "shhhh") outlet he commands.  I once commented
about my enforced exposure to WMJX at a car dealership and the
NH State liquor store in Salem and the unendurable misery of same;  I
didn't have to sample it over and over again to come to any conclusion
about the vapidness of this particular soft-rock outlet.  I also had
occasional unwanted exposure to the former WSSH-FM 99.5 before it was
gobbled up by G.M.  WSSH-FM's antenna location smack in the middle
of the Merrimack Valley caused it to be played in many places from Southern
NH to Rockport, Mass.  Between the two of them, I developed a pretty
good idea how such a station sounds.  I don't listen to WCRB either,except
for the Boston Symphony broadcasts, but I can peruse their playlist
on the Internet or see the, um, highlights in the Globe's radio-tv
page, so i know Super Mario is still on the job.
Here's something odd:  WMJX indeed is among the highest-rated
stations playing recorded material, but in spite of Mr. Kelley's
remark above,  not many people have a strong feeling about it,
comparatively few people here or at radio-info.com/Boston offer
opinions one way or the other, and the press ignores it except for
a public affairs show when few are listening.  But at both
sites, an also-ran that barely qualifies as an also-ran like
WWZN-AM is the constant subject of postings.  The switch to "Mike"
probably occasioned more comments in a few weeks than anybody
ever cared to post about WMJX in a year!