Is the Boston Herald replacing Dean Johnson?

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Sat Jun 18 18:28:38 EDT 2005

<<On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:12:06 -0400, donkelley@aol.com said:

> other station comes to that is WEEI with four #1's.  Well over a
> half-million people each week have strong enough feelings about the
> station to write it down in their diary.

I think you make a serious error of logic to suggest that diary
entries imply "strong feelings".  This may be an unpopular position,
but I would like to suggest that most people who accept Arbitron's
dollar try to fill out their diaries in an honest and accurate
fashion, within the limits of short-term memory.  A diary entry for
Magic implies nothing more than awareness that the station was playing
on the radio -- which could mean anything from "it's my favorite
station in the whole wide world" to "of the six stations we can get
inside this concrete office building, it's the only one my assistant
likes" to "it's the only station my husband and I can both tolerate
when we're in the car together".

There are probably at least as many people who have strong feelings of
antipathy towards Magic as would call it their favorite station -- as
witness the diary entries for 'BCN, 'FNX, and 'AAF.

-GAWollman