Is the Boston Herald replacing Dean Johnson?

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Fri Jun 17 17:24:23 EDT 2005

Oooo...Mr. Kelley is getting a little touchy again!  This "#1"
station to which he refers must be the vertical-finger-under-the-nose
(to designate the command "shhhh") outlet he commands.  I once commented
about my enforced exposure to WMJX at a car dealership and the
NH State liquor store in Salem and the unendurable misery of same;  I
didn't have to sample it over and over again to come to any conclusion
about the vapidness of this particular soft-rock outlet.  I also had
occasional unwanted exposure to the former WSSH-FM 99.5 before it was
gobbled up by G.M.  WSSH-FM's antenna location smack in the middle
of the Merrimack Valley caused it to be played in many places from Southern
NH to Rockport, Mass.  Between the two of them, I developed a pretty
good idea how such a station sounds.  I don't listen to WCRB either,except
for the Boston Symphony broadcasts, but I can peruse their playlist
on the Internet or see the, um, highlights in the Globe's radio-tv
page, so i know Super Mario is still on the job.
Here's something odd:  WMJX indeed is among the highest-rated
stations playing recorded material, but in spite of Mr. Kelley's
remark above,  not many people have a strong feeling about it,
comparatively few people here or at radio-info.com/Boston offer
opinions one way or the other, and the press ignores it except for
a public affairs show when few are listening.  But at both
sites, an also-ran that barely qualifies as an also-ran like
WWZN-AM is the constant subject of postings.  The switch to "Mike"
probably occasioned more comments in a few weeks than anybody
ever cared to post about WMJX in a year!