WESO Southbridge newspaper article

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Wed Jun 15 08:51:07 EDT 2005

At 07:49 AM 6/15/2005 -0400, SteveOrdinetz wrote:
>  Doug Drown wrote:
>>WGAW, WARE, now WESO . . . Hmmm . . . Do I detect a nascent trend?
>

>While I applaud the efforts, I wonder how many of these stations can make
>a go of it long-term.  Eventually, even the most deep-pocketed owner gets
>tired of subsidizing a money-losing operation.  None of these stations
>exactly have powerhouse signals.

I can't speak for how WESO or WGAW does it, but I suspect WARE's not a
money-losing operation. It may not make a fortune in sales, but Marshall
(and Dennis Jackson, the station's spiritual godfather) have found a decent
way to retain a local morning show and automate most of the rest of the day
without sounding out-of-town. IIRC, WARE is basically a one-man operation,
and I'd have to imagine it's a profitable one.