WBUR-FM IBOC

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Sat Jan 29 14:00:20 EST 2005

>From: "Scott Fybush" <scott@fybush.com>
>To: "Jeff Lehmann" <jjlehmann@comcast.net>, bri@bostonradio.org
>Subject: RE: WBUR-FM IBOC
>Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:38:34 -0500

> At 11:28 PM 1/28/2005, Jeff Lehmann wrote:
>
> > Ugh, yup it's there for sure. Goodbye to one of my best DX frequencies,
> > 90.7. I hope 91.1 WSMU will complain because of their reduced coverage area.
>
> Interesting doings down there at WSMU, now that you mention it.
> They've had a long-running CP to move to 89.3...and on last check,
> they've now recharacterized that as a CP for a new station with the
> calls WUMD. So it looks like at some point soon, they'll have both
> WUMD 89.3 and WSMU 91.1. And what do you want to be that one of
> them ends up simulcasting WUMB?

WBUR has a long-standing CP to increase power and change directional
pattern somewhat.  I believe this is predicated on a move of
WSMU from 91.1 to 89.3.  Last summer (remember summer?)
during a WBUR open house, I had a conversation with the WBUR
CE, a tall gentleman with a Marine-style buzz-cut, and he
said WBUR and WSMU were working together on the facility
changes for each.