For the FM history buffs...

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Mon Jan 24 21:40:53 EST 2005

On 24 Jan 2005 at 15:26, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> For those of you who happen to have radios that can tune wideband FM
> in the old (40-MHz) band:

Now where would anyone get one of those?

As it turns out, I do have a Regency "Monitoradio" that I bought at a yard sale.  Apparently it
was the precursor of the scanner, just a radio that tunes, manually, from 30 to 50 "mc".  I
don't know if it tunes wide-band FM, except that sometimes I hear what seem to be images
of some regular FM stations.

I got it in a yard sale about 20 years ago and had a lot of fun cleaning it up.  The circuits and
tubes inside are similar to the FM radios that I had back in the 1960s.  I haven't tried to use
it in a long time.  About the only thing I could hear on it were a few pagers and the MDC
police.  But I believe those services have moved to higher frequencies.

I suppose I could dig it out and set it up, but I'm not optimistic that a signal from New Jersey
would get out here with enough strength to reach this radio inside my apartment building.