FCC of late...creeping intimidation

tony schinella radiotony@comcast.net
Sat Jan 22 14:02:59 EST 2005

Not so strangely, I'm in the middle of both sides.
One man's decency is another woman's
entertainment, or vice versa. At the same time, do
I really want my 24-week old - when he gets to be
older - seeing a boob with a tassle on it flashing
while watching the Super Bowl? No. Or, something
just as abhorrent - the violent death and
destruction of the Iraqi invasion on the nightly
news? No.
At least with the boob, I can say, "Son, that is a
breast and it is one of the reasons men love women
..." What do I tell him when on the rare
ocassion - since the media doesn't want to show
them - that he sees some innocent woman or child
from Iraq running around with blood all over
themselves at the hands of American occupiers? It
is the radicalism of both sides - and the fact
that neither side can admit that they are indeed
radical - that is the problem.
While I don't think the media should be
sanitized - or Christianized - and I have always
been a First Amendment advocate, I am beginning to
wonder if there shouldn't be some sort of common
sense when it comes to what the FCC does and how
the people's airwaves are controlled. Mind you,
I'm glad Powell is gone. He was never qualified
for the job - not unlike Justice Clarence Thomas.
And his tantrums ignored all kinds of other crap
an FCC chairman should have fined. I also think
the media is much too corporate and I would like
to see it re-regulated as far as ownership goes.
But is it really healthy to allow Howard Stern to
say to a hot chick at 9 a.m. in the morning,
paraphrasing but pretty close to a quote, 'you're
so hot I want to cut off your head and rape your
neck socket'? If he wants to say that at 10 p.m.
or on satellite, fine. If his radio show was on
HBO [instead of E!] and he unblurred the naked
bodies of all those strippers he has on, fine. I
also don't have a problem with the E! show since
it is on at 11 p.m. But between 6 a.m. and 9 or 10
p.m., there should be some sort of safety. It
isn't just about "choosing to shut off the
channel." At some point, we don't have to think
about the health and safety of others, and
society, don't we?

Best,
Tony Schinella
radiotony@comcast.net