Michael Powell to resign?

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Sat Jan 22 13:14:29 EST 2005

>From: "Sid Schweiger" <sid@wrko.com>
>To: boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
>Subject: Re: Michael Powell to resign?
>Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:54:51 -0700

> >> I forget the name of the movie as it is late- but how many ABC
> stations were too scared to broacast the movie that has been shown on
> ABC several times before? The FCC is there to maintain rules of
> broadcasting, not to scare everyone.<<
>
> "Saving Private Ryan"
>

> Personally, I can't wait for one of the companies hit with huge fines to
> take the FCC to court over it.  Watching the FCC attempt to defend the
> inconsistently-applied indeceny rules would be one of the true
> spectacles in American regulatory history...as it would be to watch them
> lose the case.
>
> Sid Schweiger
> IT Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
> WAAF-WEEI AM/FM-WQSX-WRKO-WVEI
> 20 Guest St / 3d Floor
> Boston MA  02135-2040

This essentially the gravamen of an op-ed Scott Allen Miller of
WRKO wrote in the Boston Globe last year.  Perhaps some of the
entities at risk were either waiting for a new administration
in DC, or a new FCC Commissioner.  Well, one of them
has happened, but the fact that the same people are in
charge of the White House means that Powell's successor may
not be to their liking.  They'll just have to take their
chances with the courts anyway.