Michael Powell to resign?

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Sat Jan 22 10:54:51 EST 2005

>>I forget the name of the movie as it is late- but how many ABC
stations were too scared to broacast the movie that has been shown on
ABC several times before? The FCC is there to maintain rules of
broadcasting, not to scare everyone.<<

"Saving Private Ryan"

It may not have been their function, but when the tin gods that run that
place (and the other commissioners are just as guilty of this) start
talking about fines which are way beyond punitive and well into the
confiscatory range, as well as license revocations...and when there
isn't a scintilla of proof that a half-second of a bared boob or a
swarthy oath on network TV does any demonstrable harm to anyone...then
they certainly succeeeded.  It's no stretch to understand why the FCC is
in bad need of reform.  It's an easy enough cop-out to say "they're only
doing what Congress mandates them to do" but Congress hasn't to my
recollection told the FCC to act as power- and money-hungry cops having
a bad decade.

Personally, I can't wait for one of the companies hit with huge fines to
take the FCC to court over it.  Watching the FCC attempt to defend the
inconsistently-applied indeceny rules would be one of the true
spectacles in American regulatory history...as it would be to watch them
lose the case.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
WAAF-WEEI AM/FM-WQSX-WRKO-WVEI