102.5 to Spanish? Nahhh.....

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Dec 18 00:46:46 EST 2005

On 16 Dec 2005 at 14:14, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> NOBODY on this list has suggested that 102.5 will flip to Spanish. Reread
> the postings--this time with your eyes open! Scott Fybush did suggest that
> 99.5 might flip. Its Tx location, right next to Lawrence, which is
> something like 80% Hispanic, makes it a logical candidate. But if 99.5
> brings Greater Media, say, $60 million in a forced sale, there is still
> the question of whether it is economically justifiable to flip to Spanish
> a Massachusetts station that has cost its purchaser that much. Other
> scenarios can be postulated--involving other signals that are Boston
> rimshots. This is a field day for speculation by those of us with no money
> but plenty of wild imagination. Joseph Gallant, who no longer posts to
> this list, must be drooling!

Well, here are a few scenarios I'd like to see (though, unlike Joseph Gallant, I don't have any
illusions that any of them have much chance of happening):

99.5 gets bought by Bob Bittner

99.5 gets bought by the Boston Symphony and becomes the new WCRB

99.5 gets bought by the New York Times or the Boston Globe and becomes affiliated with
WQXR or becomes the new WCRB

99.5 gets bought by Doug or Woody Tanger and gets the classical programming that used to
be on WBOQ

Somebody with an interest in the Ted Jones trust takes legal action that forces 99.5 to go
classical as compensation for the loss of 102.5.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581