102.5 to Spanish? Nahhh.....

Doug Drown revdoug1@verizon.net
Fri Dec 16 13:05:49 EST 2005

I noticed that in Greater Media's announcement of the purchase, the company
pointed out that WCRB has been broadcasting classical music since 1950.  The
station is also successful --- the tenth highest-rated station in the
market.  Should the saying "If ain't broke, don't fix it" perhaps apply
here?

Doug

----- Original Message -----
From: <bradfordwood@comcast.net>
To: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2005 10:11 AM
Subject: 102.5 to Spanish? Nahhh.....

> Despite all the possibilities and rumors, the chances of a 100-million
dollar FM'er going Spanish is probably one of the more far-fetched format
ideas to come down the pike.  Why?  Mass market.  While it may appear that
the Hispanic audience may be large - it is no where near the "critical mass"
that would allow for an investment in an all-Spanish FM format in Boston, as
compare to New York or even in the South.  The numbers ($$$ and population)
just don't (and won't) add up.  In order for an FM spanish format to be
successful, ad rates would have to be through the roof to help offset the
cost of a 100-million dollar purchase.

<joe@attorneyross.com>