Vacuum tubes

John J. Francini francini@mac.com
Sun Aug 28 16:10:04 EDT 2005

Actually, certain kinds of vacuum tubes that are popular in
audiophile receivers are being made once more -- because of
audiophile demand. One company, in fact, has licensed the Western
Electric name and is making WE 300B triodes using the original WE
tooling and designs.  There are other companies that are making tubes
in Russia and China for the audiophile market.

In addition, one of the bases of what's called "tube sound" is the
measurable difference in the distortion products of tube amps.
Before they go into heavy clipping, a typical tube amp's distortion
signature is rather heavy in even harmonics: 2nd, 4th, 6th, etc.,
while many solid-state designs' distortion products are odd-order:
3rd, 5th, 7th, etc.  It is generally agreed amongst audio engineers
as well as audiophiles that the even harmonics produced by tube amps
are far more 'musical' (euphonic) compared to the odd harmonics from
solid-state.

John

--
----