Vacuum tubes

Stephanie Weil stephanie@gordsven.com
Sun Aug 28 19:10:31 EDT 2005

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> Is that old RCA receiver in a wooden cabinet? If so, that may explain the
> great sound to a much greater degree than do the tubes. That said, a group
> of (wealthy) audio enthusiasts believe that "tube sound" is real. The

I collect old radios.

Let's put it this way:

There is good sounding tube audio equipment and there is bad sounding tube
audio equipment.

There is good sounding solid-state gear adn then there is bad sounding
solid-state gear.

I have some solid-state hi-fidelity transistor tabletop sets that sound
very nice.  I have others that sound OK...and still others that sound
horrendous.

Ditto their tube cousins.  It all depends on the design of the item and
the quality of some of the components that are used.

--
Stephanie Weil
New York City, NY