Vacuum tubes

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Sat Aug 27 21:32:35 EDT 2005

Last week I managed to get hold of an old RCA Victor table model AM-FM radio.  Despite
the hum from a bad filter capacitor, it has a really rich sound, and (unlike newer sets) it has
no trouble picking out WCRB from all the other strong signals around Brookline.  I've ordered
replacement capacitors online, and when they arrive and I get them installed, I'll have a really
great radio.

In a conversation with a friend, the topic came up about the supposed great sound quality of
vacuum tube receivers.  I've heard this before, but I've heard some pretty bad sound from
some old vacuum tube equipment, too.  Is there really a different sound quality from vacuum
tubes?