the old days: Jess Cain

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Sat Aug 27 14:55:17 EDT 2005

On 27 Aug 2005 at 10:52, Bob Nelson wrote:

> Traffic with Kevin O'Keefe and he mentioned "the end of 93"--as I
> understand it, I-93 suddenly stopped a couple miles north of Boston
> but eventually they linked it to the Central artery...a connection was
> built but held up for a long time but when it finally opened--early
> 70s?--along came all that wonderful traffic...jams.

As I recall, the part of I-93 connecting to the Central Artery, was almost completed when, in
response to a growing movement against more road-building (which defeated completely the
so-called "inner belt"), Governor Frank Sargent ordered a sudden halt to construction.  The
road sat unused until, sometime after the energy crisis hit in 1974, the road was opened
supposedly as a fuel-saving measure.  To this day, that section of I-93 has some access
ramps that end in midair.