Herald: WBZ fires Jonic after FBI story flap

Mission Control miscon@miscon.net
Fri Aug 5 09:47:08 EDT 2005

Sorry to join this thread so late in the discussion, and my apologies if what I say below has already been expressed.

There are many ways to cover a story, or even to break one.

Someone gave the green light to the investigation, and continued to do so through the process of assembling the story.

Interesting that it appears that the FBI was "consulted" about it BEFORE it ran.

Regardless, IF the FBI said that to run the story would create "national security problems," WBZ could have modified the story, hinting at the problems, and threatening to reveal them if not fixed within a certain period of time. Such an act would have alerted the public, put the FBI on notice, and had the potential as a great follow-up piece.

But that's just how I thought it out.

Anyway, I think I might have sent the same memo as Jonic - put a little pressure at the top AND alert fellow newspeople what's in store for them as they cover similar subjects.

Jonic's firing has even a more chilling effect in the news industry.

Mike

Hey, go out an gather yer own damn news.