Air America, et al..

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Aug 2 13:13:25 EDT 2005

>Then when AA came around, they decided that they might as
>well make 1200 into the west suburban companion AA signal
>to 1430, but if they had been granted the Newton site a
>few years ago, it's perhaps possible that we might have a
>completely different type of talk station on 1200 now.

Indeed. And as I've said before here, I have doubts about the conventional
wisdom that says liberal talk should do best in liberal markets.

I'm just back from San Francisco, which is as blue as it gets, and ABC's
KSFO (huge signal, very right-tilting talk) and CC's KNEW (more than
adequate signal, right-tilting talk) are still doing quite well out there,
attracting very loyal and passionate listenership from the conservative
minority there that feels disenfranchised by ABC's mainstream talk behemoth
KGO and most of the rest of the political dialogue in the region.

CC's other talker, KQKE 960, with a respectable signal but no local weekday
programming (it's the usual CC libtalk mix of AA, Schultz, etc.), has a
much tougher fight ahead of it, what with the really lefty stuff on
Pacifica mothership KPFA, the moderate-to-libertarian local talk lineup on
KGO, the huge ratings KQED's NPR programming draws, and so on.

Point being, I don't expect huge numbers from "libtalk" in places like
Boston, San Francisco or New York. I'd love to try it somewhere like Fort
Wayne, where there's a passionate (and fairly affluent) left-leaning
population that's distinctly in the minority but substantial enough to
yield a few share points to whatever station can speak to them in a way
that the existing talker (the once-great full-service WOWO) no longer does.