(no subject)

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Mon Apr 25 11:36:12 EDT 2005

<<On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:11:07 -0400, Eli Polonsky <elipolo@earthlink.net> said:

> I've heard that jocks at River 92.5 get to select two songs per hour,
> and even those two have to be in their master playlist database.

> Besides those two, the rest of the hour is playlisted song for song.
> Perhaps whoever does the playlists may do good creative job, but
> it's not the jocks selecting the tunes.

And I, for one, would describe the station more as "the pick of a bad
lot" than anything else; I like the format, but I don't think they
execute it nearly as well as WXPN, WRLT, or WMMM (just to name three).
They tend to absolutely blacken a very small set of currents; they
play too much 70's crap for my tastes; and they play almost none of
the cool new stuff they were playing X years ago (for nearly any value
of X).  Even their vaunted "Music Hall" seems to sit mostly unused: in
1997 they seemed to be doing something live every time I turned on the
radio; I can't remember when was the last time I heard a live
performance on the station.  Their one redeeming feature is that they
aren't processed all to hell.  The one consistently listenable
daypart, at least for me, is the evening shift, which has settled down
as "Acoustic after hours".

-GAWollman