Ratings question

Rod O'Connor rjoc@webtv.net
Sun Apr 3 10:09:32 EDT 2005

Willhight was based in Seattle.
While I was at KMXT Kodiak, Alaska between 1984-1999 we used their services, along with the local commercial station on the island. They were strictly phone calls.  Back when we had the survey in 1987 even Anchorage was not an Arbitron market.

Willhight was very popular among Alaska Broadcasters. They covered all the Alaskan markets, Anchorage, Juneau, Fairbanks, Kodiak, Ketchikan, Sitka. They were also fairly "cheap" too, especially for a small non-comm/Public station. I think we paid $500 for their services. They gave us a big discount as a  non-profit organization and I'm sure they got a decent tax write-off.

We gained a lot of info from their survey, which I thought was amazingly accurate. But then, the listening audience on Kodiak Island in the late 80's/early 90's was only 12,000 people.

I was wondering whatever happened to them, after this thread got going.

Rod O'Connor
Southwest Harbor, Maine

(Former volunteer>Morning Host>PD
KMXT FM/TV Kodiak, Alaska)