Ratings question

DonKelley@aol.com DonKelley@aol.com
Sat Apr 2 21:43:28 EST 2005

Garret is probably correct on that.  But nobody writes a slogan in a  diary.
Mostly because they're not asked to.  They're asked for call  letters, dial
setting, or station name.  If you don't know they ask if you  know the program
name.  No mention of slogan.

The late WJIB FM 97 had the following slogan registered with  Arbitron:
"Couldn't you use a little."   As in "couldn't you use  a little Jib today?"  But
it was truncated by the 25-character limit.   A grand total of nobody wrote
that in a diary.

Picture it.  Someone asks you what station you heard this  morning.  Would
you answer, "why, I was listening to "couldn;t you use a  little?"

Frequency alone is the most common entry.  Even for stations like Kiss  108.
 Diarykeepers write "107.9" even though - to my knowledge - Kiss  108 has
never once uttered that.  People answer the question that is  asked.  What's the
station?  They look at the radio.  What does  it say?   That's what they write
 down.