Ratings question

SteveOrdinetz hykker@grolen.com
Sat Apr 2 09:08:58 EST 2005

  Sid Schweiger wrote:
> >>If the ratings services call a listener, and the listener, without
>identifying call letters, says, "I'm listening to Air America," what
>does the ratings service record?<<
>
>Ratings services don't call, and haven't for over 30 years.  Hooper, the
>last ratings service to use the "telephone-coincidental" technique,
>closed up shop decades ago.

I know they're gone now too, but didn't Birch & Willhight use call-out for
their ratings?  Willhight was around thru at least the mid-90s.  I had a
call from a (no doubtedly short-lived) "alternative" rating service in the
mid-late 90s asking for my radio listenership.  Oddly, they never asked if
I worked for a broadcast or media company (I did).  Needless to say, I
listened faithfully to my own airshift from start to finish.