music and politics on radio

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Sep 18 23:17:17 EDT 2004

>Dan B wrote--
>I think the average person just wants to hear the hits.  But things
>sometimes take on a life of their own.  There was the Cat Stevens thing a
>few years ago.  The Dixie Chicks deal.  Right now the gay groups are all
>worked up about the anti-gay lyrics of  a Jamaican guy whose name escapes me.

So how do we avoid letting a small group of rightwingers, leftwingers,
gays, straights or whoever makes the most angry phone calls drive what we
program?  It seems that some stations have become sooo reactive that the
moment they get a couple of upset callers, the song gets pulled.  Is this
just the continued over-reaction to the Janet Jackson/FCC crackdown?