music and politics on radio

Daniel Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Sat Sep 18 22:58:08 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donna Halper" <dlh@donnahalper.com>
To: "Daniel Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>
Cc: <boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2004 10:50 PM
Subject: Re: music and politics on radio

> Good point.  But how would you determine that an artist has become too
> controversial? Do you think the average person thinks about the politics
> of musicians, or does the average person just wanna hear the hits?

I think the average person just wants to hear the hits.  But things
sometimes take on a life of their own.  There was the Cat Stevens thing a
few years ago.  The Dixie Chicks deal.  Right now the gay groups are all
worked up about the anti-gay lyrics of  a Jamaican guy whose name escapes
me.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine