is this broadcast censorship?

Daniel Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Sun Oct 24 20:40:06 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Laurence" <mlaurence@mindspring.com>
To: <bri@bostonradio.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 12:21 AM
Subject: Re: is this broadcast censorship?

>> All I've heard is that bar owners have agreed not to permit live shots
> from inside their establishments, something they certainly have the right
> to do.

I think that's right.  I can't see how the Mayor could change the
regulations imposed on bars overnight by executive order.  Maybe he has some
kind of emergency authority but I think the city would be on pretty weak
ground if they tried to take a license based on a camera being present in a
bar.  I think the bar owners wanted to cooperate and worked with the city on
a compromise.