WMKI Testing IBOC Again

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Tue Oct 5 16:47:31 EDT 2004

Almost a month ago (09/11/04) I observed IBOC hash interfering
with WKBR-AM 1250 in Manchester, NH, so I tuned up the dial
to WMKI-AM 1260 in Boston and noticed that the Radio Disney
broadcast sounded odd, i.e. lower in volume and slightly disembodied.
Then I tuned to WTSN-AM 1270 in Dover, NH and they were getting
worse hash than WKBR.  I posted this observation to the B.R.I.G.
that day...and to prove I wasn't overdosing on Sam Adams, Mr.
Decimalman, Kaimbridge Goldchild, also mentioned that he had noticed
the same phenomenon.  Well, after checking AM 1260's sideband
almost daily since then,  I can report that it is happening
right now, 4:30 pm on Tuesday, Oct. 5th.  Now obviously that
could change momentarily because just like WBZ-AM, they can
be expected to pull the plug on IBOC transmission before sunset.
But, as I mentioned in september, WMKI differs from the 1170 SFR
blowtorch in that it exists right in the middle of stations
on adjacent and second ajacent frequencies with which its
signal will have to contend.  Right now, it's making it
difficult to hear Hannity on WKBR, and even more difficult
to hear the ESPN-sourced ballgame on WTSN. Maybe folks closer
to the WMKI transmitter in Quincy will do some observing
of the IBOC testing (if that is what it is) to see the effects
on WESX or WJDA, as well as the NH stations mentioned already.