WLLH off air

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sat Nov 27 23:45:47 EST 2004

At 11:39 PM 11/27/2004, A. Joseph Ross wrote:

>But it reminds me of the stations years ago that used to ID something like
>"WHDH and
>WHDH-FM, Boston."  From what I understand, that's the legally correct ID,
>but it was more
>common to say "AM and FM" after the base call letters.

Garrett will no doubt chime in here, but in fact the legally correct ID
(with the caveat that I'm not a lawyer of any stripe) would be "WHDH
Boston, WHDH-FM Boston." The FCC has never taken action, so far as I know,
against stations that ID as "WHDH and WHDH-FM Boston" or "WHDH AM and FM
Boston," though, and I've certainly heard examples far more egregiously wrong.

>The FCC database seems to be so full of errors, I wonder whether any
>station has ever been
>accused of illegal operating when it was just the FCC database that was
>wrong.

The CDBS system explicitly states that it's not to be considered a primary
source. I believe the FCC's own paper files are still considered the final
authority when it comes to what's authorized or not - though even THOSE are
incomplete. The FCC has no records of who was authorized for pre-sunrise
and post-sunset AM power in the eighties, so it's basically up to stations
to carefully preserve the authorizations they were issued back then by a
now-obsolete computer system that calculated acceptable PSRA and PSSA power
levels. Your government in action!