WLLH off air

Bill O'Neill billo@shoreham.net
Sat Nov 27 22:47:14 EST 2004

Dan Strassberg wrote:

>I'm not even positive that the Lawrence
>transmitter runs a full kilowatt, whereas the Lowell transmitter does. The
>Lowell transmitter is no longer a rooftop installation. It now has a
>conventional antenna. And in researching this post, I discovered that the
>Lawrence transmitter must have been deleted (accridentally, I presume) from
>the FCC's AM database. What I believe to be the most recent release of Bob
>Carpenter's AMSTNS program, which uses the FCC database, contains no record
>for WLLH's Lawrence transmitter.

IIRC, the Lowell XMTR actually was only putting out 600+ watts (670 I
believe) when all things were considered for the improved ground plane
as well as the closer distance to Lawrence than at the Giant Store
location.  Also, with the new Harris and all new air chain, the  Lowell
station had more going for it.  I remember being on the air there
("Modern Country" incarnation) when the Lowell side failed (you could
actually see the xmtr through the booth window) but there was still
decent air monitor in the cans during a live read when it all dropped.
Noise floor did rise but not too much.  It was later in the AM in summer.

Bill O'Neill