WLLH off air

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Sat Nov 27 13:54:35 EST 2004

>From: "Scott Fybush" <scott@fybush.com>
>To: "Dan Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net>, "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@attorneyross.com>, "Bill >O'Neill" <billo@shoreham.net>
>Subject: Re: WLLH off air
>Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:45:38 -0500

> >And in researching this post, I discovered that the
> >Lawrence transmitter must have been deleted (accridentally, I presume) from
> >the FCC's AM database. What I believe to be the most recent release of Bob
> >Carpenter's AMSTNS program, which uses the FCC database, contains no record
> >for WLLH's Lawrence transmitter.
>
> Indeed, there's little trace of it now in the FCC's CDBS database. Best I
> can come up with is file # BREX-201, which was the 1978 license to cover
> for the Lawrence signal (presumably when both went up to a kilowatt?)
> The FCC's database has always been a little flaky when it comes to records
> for experimental operations, which WLLH's Lawrence signal is and has always
> been. (If it were granted now instead of 65 years ago, it would have a
> callsign like WL2XLH, I suspect.)

Some time ago, the Jibguy mentioned v-soft.com, a site that presents a list
of radio signals available at a given zip-code.  I entered 01844, and
sure enough, a multitude of stations from the strongest to the weakest)
with my headset radio, a
appeared, and WLLH-AM was somewhere around the middle/.  That's because
the programm assumed WLLH operated only at its Lowell site.  At my home,
WLLH comes in at the same signal strength or maybe even better than
WNNW, WRKO, WBZ and WCEC.  (BTW, v-soft.com doesn't work right now,
Saturday, Nov 27 at 1:41 pm EST).  I'm sorry I didn't know about the
disappearance of the WLLH-AM signal from  Lowell last Thursday...
I went to a restaurant in Concord, Mass. and would have been pleased
to sample the daytime coverage area of the Lawrence stick (and I mean
"stick").  However, this morning, I did drive out to the Lowell
antenna site tuned to WLLH all the way, thus observing the lack of a
wavering, short-wave effect all through Dracut!  I parked at LelaCheur
Pahk and walked over to the transmitter building (the gate was open).
People driving by on the Lowell-Lawrence Blvd must have thought it
odd that a man was standing next to a tower with a headset radio on,
but I had to confirm that there was radio silence, that the transmitter
was running but disconnected from the tower.  It wasn't.  When I turned
my radio "sideways" to Lawrence, WLLH disappeared;  also I got good
reception of WFEA-AM 1370 Manchester, NH and WXKS-AM 1430, Medford/Everett.
Then I drove around Lowell to test the Lawrence signal, and it
seemed as good in Lowell as WCCM-AM 1490's signal is in Lawrence.
If the Lawrence transmitter isn't running 1,000 watts, it's close
enough, I think.  I hope that g.i.c. will keep tabs on the 1400 frequency
and alert the Group when the Lowell service resumes.  In the
past, WLLH's Lawrence transmitter has been off-the-air many,
many times...this is the first time I've experienced the opposite.
Could it be that the owners determined there's no Spanish-
speaking audience to speak of in the Swindle, I mean Spindle
City, and they intend to operate out of Lawrence exclusively?

Laurence from Methuen