Not Much Skywave These Days

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Fri Nov 12 17:59:04 EST 2004

Since Monday, I've noticed that AM skywave has been greatly
diminished, thus allowing me to pick up eastern Massachusetts
stations that are usually swamped by distant signals.  Chief
among these have been the AirAmerica twins WKKS-AM 1430/WKOX-AM 1200,
plus WTTT, Boston, transmitting from Lexington, and WEIM-AM
1280 in Fitchburg.  (WEIM has always been my touchstone for
diminished skywave because it is usually battered
even before sunset by stations in NYC and Canada.).  In fact,
it seems MORE difficult to get WFAN and WCBS from Long Island
Sound well after dark than during the day.  Also WOR and WABC are
very faint.  Speaking of stations in the 7s, yes I can also
pick up WJIB on butterfly-breath power.  I don't know if there's
been sunspot activity or cyclical terrestrial events, and of
course it could change any minute now (although the aforementioned
stations are coming in well right now: Friday at 6:00 pm EST).