WMKI-AM 1260 Running IBOC For Real?

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Fri Nov 12 17:48:58 EST 2004

I received an e-mail off-list with the information that
WMKI-AM 1260, Radio Disney is "testing" or is it running
Ibiquity's IBOC system for real?  The individual said that
WMKI was putting hash on WTSN-AM 1270 in Dover (he lives
on the North Shore);  I get it over WKBR-AM 1250 in Manchester,
NH and even WEIM-AM 1280 in Fitchburg.  This hash issue
has been brought up before re WBZ-AM, but little has been
sais about its effect on program content.  If WMKI continues
with IBOC, anyone close enough to its transmission facilities
to get a good signal day and night should check out the difference
as they make the switch from DA-N at 6:30 am or go back to it
from ND-D at 4:30 pm.  When the night pattern is on, the
audio is clear, somewhat 3-dimensional and a modest approximation
of FM in mono.  When IBOC is running, the station sounds
as though its transmitting from one of the Rovers on Mars!