WPAA - GONE!

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Tue Nov 9 16:44:15 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com>
To: bri@bostonradio.org
Subject: WPAA - GONE!
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 15:30:13 -0500

> According to today's FCC Daily Digest, WPAA's license has been cancelled
> and its callsign deleted, after - and I quote - "Licensee indicates off air
> 12 consecutive months."
>
> Even given the political connections that the licensee in question appears
> to have, that particular cause for license deletion is as close to a "death
> penalty" situation as the FCC has. Prior appeals of similar deletions have
> been met with the response that such license cancellations are mandated by
> a congressional act - which indeed they are - and that the FCC's hands are
> tied.
>
> One now wonders whether WUML, WMWM or WNEF will rush to take advantage of
> the situation...

I posted to this site several months ago a message to the effect that the land
on which the WPAA transmitter building and its puny "tower" had been cleared of
all those structures.  The last time I visited that section of the campus, nothing
identifiable had gone up...there was just a melange of construction vehicles and
random detritus.  Of course, prior to that, WPAA had been "broadcasting"
an unmodulated carrier for months, 7 days a week, day and night, even during holiday
and vacation periods.  That alone should have disqualified them as a licensee.
As far as stations on the same and adjacent channels undertaking facilities changes,
all you have to do is observe how long it has taken WBUR to effect the CP it's
had for eons!