WSMN Nashua Update

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sat May 22 10:48:00 EDT 2004

I predict a low-power STA diplexed with WSNH 900. The fact that the 1590
station in Waterbury CT is dead means that night power of 50W or more is
likely to be permitted. Day power will be limited by WUNR. Since there is
already prohibited overlap between WSMN and WUNR, I guess the FCC will allow
somewhat more power than you might think. For example, WAZN 1470 is, as far
as I know, still running 850W ND from the WTTT site. WAZN's CP for days from
that site is for 1400W but with a directional pattern that fills the nulls
to only a bit more than 200W. So the ND operation radiates about double the
field strength in the direction of those nulls that the day directional
pattern would radiate. WSMN sends very little signal toward WUNR, but I'm
not sure just how little. Also, isn't WSNH's site several miles futher north
than WSMN's site? That would put more distance between WSMN and WUNR,
enabling WSMN to use more power. It's also possible that WSMN will find a
friendly cell-tower operator who would permit a low-power AM to use his
tower, or WSMN might go it alone. On 1590, a 100' tower can easily be
top-loaded to an electrical height of about 80 degrees, which would produce
reasonable efficiency. Finding a site for a 100' tower is a lot easier than
finding a site for a three-tower AM DA comprising towers of 200' or close.
>From a site at the north end of Nashua, WSMN might be able to run the 250W
equivalent necessary for a licensed operation and still reduce prohibited
overlap with WUNR. With waivers of the requirement for 5 mV/m daytime
coverage of the COL, that single 100' tower might be all that WSMN would
have to construct. Before WAZN moved to Watertown, it ran from a single
top-loaded 100' stick in Hudson MA for probably close to four years. Covered
the old COL of Marlboro reasonably well--during the day (and could be heard
beyond the end of its ground system at night).

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367