ClearChannel and Howard Stern (was: WGIR)

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri Jun 18 13:58:34 EDT 2004

>Sean wrote--
>The accurate statement in this case is: "Clear Channel, nor any of its
>representatives, never acknowledged on the record to a ban of the Dixie
>Chicks."
>
>Whether or not they did in more clandestine channels remains up for debate.

Lisa Stark, who produced the ABC Nightline piece, found clear (no pun
intended) evidence that there was such a ban, at least on all of the
Cumulus stations, and found sufficient evidence from some album rock PDs at
CC that they were in fact told not to play anti-war songs.  It's
disingenuous to say that because Lowry Mays himself, a very media savvy
guy, didn't step up and say "Yeah I told 'em to do it", that means it
didn't happen.  At the risk of turning this thread political, there was a
lot of pressure coming from the current Administration to get us into a war
with Iraq, and many of Mr Bush's supporters at the highest levels of media
were eager to co-operate.  And don't forget-- it wasn't that long ago when
anyone who dissented about the war was immediately labelled "a traitor" or
"unpatriotic", so it doesn't shock me that certain networks did what they
thought was their part to make sure the pro-war sentiment won out.