ClearChannel and Howard Stern (was: WGIR)

Sean Smyth ssmyth@psu.edu
Fri Jun 18 13:52:05 EDT 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:13:22 +0000, Donna Halper wrote:
> Umm, not baseless at all.  In late May of last year, I commented on this
> very fact-- and it is a fact-- on ABC's Nightline.  The ban started with
> the Cumulus chain.  CC ordered that anti-war songs be banned.  Both plans
> equally scary, both were carried out for a while.

I think what Steve (and others who have made similar comments) were trying to
say is that Clear Channel - or any company representative -never was quoted on
the record as saying such a ban was in place.

And, if that's what Steve, et al, are saying, I'd tend to agree.

The accurate statement in this case is: "Clear Channel, nor any of its
representatives, never acknowledged on the record to a ban of the Dixie
Chicks."

Whether or not they did in more clandestine channels remains up for debate.