ClearChannel and Howard Stern (was: WGIR)

Sean Smyth ssmyth@psu.edu
Fri Jun 18 14:11:55 EDT 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:58:34 +0000, Donna Halper wrote:
> Lisa Stark, who produced the ABC Nightline piece, found clear (no pun
> intended) evidence that there was such a ban, at least on all of the
> Cumulus stations, and found sufficient evidence from some album rock PDs at
> CC that they were in fact told not to play anti-war songs.  It's
> disingenuous to say that because Lowry Mays himself, a very media savvy
> guy, didn't step up and say "Yeah I told 'em to do it", that means it
> didn't happen.  At the risk of turning this thread political, there was a
> lot of pressure coming from the current Administration to get us into a war
> with Iraq, and many of Mr Bush's supporters at the highest levels of media
> were eager to co-operate.  And don't forget-- it wasn't that long ago when
> anyone who dissented about the war was immediately labelled "a traitor" or
> "unpatriotic", so it doesn't shock me that certain networks did what they
> thought was their part to make sure the pro-war sentiment won out.

Personally, from what I've heard, I'm inclined to agree Chicks' air-play was
reduced, and I'd be intersted in seeing Lisa's evidence. However (and call me a
cautious reporter if you want to) to say it is a 100-percent, stone-cold lock
that it was ordered by the higher-ups is something I'm still uncomfortable
saying or putting in print. Remember there was a decent-sized outcry from us
everyday Americans -- and not just because the Bush Administration told people
to kvetch about it.