Interference In MD, Similar To What Newton Could Experience?

R J Carpenter rcarpen@erols.com
Fri Jul 23 20:02:00 EDT 2004

The storm took out my electricity for only about 25 minutes.

The following is straight from the GPO, which maintains the current FCC
Rules online.

I don't see any change from the 1-V requirement, nor the one-year limit on
fiscal responsibility.  Changes and CPs are specifically mentioned as
restarting the clock.

I could interpret these rules as excluding effects on wired, non-RF,
telephones. IMO, most stations would make an effort to help solve such
problems.  I see such comments in broadcast.net groups.

Bob Carpenter
PART 73_RADIO BROADCAST SERVICES--Table of Contents

                     Subpart A_AM Broadcast Stations

Sec.  73.88  Blanketing interference.

    The licensee of each broadcast station is required to satisfy all
reasonable complaints of blanketing interference within the 1 V/m
contour.

    Note: For more detailed instructions concerning operational
responsibilities of licensees and permittees under this section, see
Sec.  73.318 (b), (c) and (d).

[28 FR 13574, Dec. 14, 1963, as amended at 56 FR 64859, Dec. 12, 1991]

And the paragraphs 73.318 (b), (c) and (d) in the FM rules as mentioned
above.

                     Subpart B_FM Broadcast Stations

Sec.  73.318  FM blanketing interference.

    (b) After January 1, 1985, permittees or licensees who either (1)
commence program tests, or (2) replace their antennas, or (3) request
facilities modifications and are issued a new construction permit must
satisfy all complaints of blanketing interference which are received by
the station during a one year period. The period begins with the
commencement of program tests, or commencement of programming utilizing
the new antenna. Resolution of complaints shall be at no cost to the
complainant. These requirements specifically do not include interference
complaints resulting from malfunctioning or mistuned receivers,
improperly installed antenna systems, or the use of high gain antennas
or antenna booster amplifiers. Mobile receivers and non-RF devices such
as tape recorders or hi-fi amplifiers (phonographs) are also excluded.
    (c) A permittee collocating with one or more existing stations and
beginning program tests on or after January 1, 1985, must assume full
financial responsibility for remedying new complaints of blanketing
interference for a period of one year. Two or more permittees that
concurrently collocate on or after January 1, 1985, shall assume shared
responsibility for remedying blanketing complaints within the blanketing
area unless an offending station can be readily determined and then that
station shall assume full financial responsibility.
    (d) Following the one year period of full financial obligation to
satisfy blanketing complaints, licensees shall provide technical
information or assistance to complainants on remedies for blanketing
interference.

[28 FR 13623, Dec. 14, 1963, as amended at 52 FR 25866, July 9, 1987]