Interference In MD, Similar To What Newton Could Experience?

R J Carpenter rcarpen@erols.com
Fri Jul 23 18:45:56 EDT 2004

Idle discussion and "he said this, they said that" in the Gazette is no
proof of anything.  One needs to read the FCC Rules.  I wouldn't trust
anything in a suburban newspaper (which comes free to my door once a week)
to be technically correct. Facts may suffer in an effort to sell papers,
since I think they have a pay edition as well.

The Montgomery Village people are out to take WMET off the air. That is no
change. Maybe the station is being uncooperative or maybe the complainers
lie outside the 1-V contour and are upset that the station won't do anything
about their $9.95 phones.

There has been some discussion on DCRTV.com, and some stations, like WTOP,
are said to continue to try to help their whiners (spelt whingers in
British). WTOP has a couple of good full-time engineers.

I rather doubt that the FCC Rules absolve stations just because almost
everything is a Minor Change these days.  That would be the ultimate example
of legislating physics out of existence.

Radio hams using 50 MHz have troubles from complaints of interference to
baby monitors and phones the FCC put on 49.990 MHz.  The complainers are not
satisfied when they read the notice on the phones that says they must accept
ANY interference and stop using the phones if they CAUSE interference.
Maybe the WMET case is similar, maybe it isn't.

One of us needs to look up "blanketing interference" up in the current
Rules.

The sky about to open with a downpour according to the radar.

Bob Carpenter