Interference In MD, Similar To What Newton Could Experience?

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Fri Jul 23 19:48:53 EDT 2004

>>I am under the impression that if an AM station upgrades its facilities, it must satisfy, at its own expense, for a period of one year from the date that the FCC licenses the new facilities, all complaints of interference from people who reside within the 1V/m contour.<<

That's what I thought too, but the current rules say differently.

===================================

For AM:

Sec.  73.88  Blanketing interference.

    The licensee of each broadcast station is required to satisfy all reasonable complaints of blanketing interference within the 1 V/m contour.

    Note:  For more detailed instructions concerning operational responsibilities of licensees and permittees under this section, see Sec.  73.318 (b), (c) and (d).

[28 FR 13574, Dec. 14, 1963, as amended at 56 FR 64859, Dec. 12, 1991]

==================================

For FM:

Sec.  73.318  FM blanketing interference.

    Areas adjacent to the transmitting antenna that receive a signal with a strength of 115 dBu (562 mV/m) or greater will be assumed to be blanketed. In determining the blanketed area, the 115 dBu contour is determined by calculating the inverse distance field using the effective radiated power of the maximum radiated lobe of the antenna without considering its vertical radiation pattern or height. For directional antennas, the effective radiated power in the pertinent bearing shall be
used.
    (a) The distance to the 115 dBu contour is determined using the following equation:

D (in kilometers)=0.394[radic] P
D (in miles)=0.245[radic] P
Where P is the maximum effective radiated power (ERP), measured in kilowatts, of the maximum radiated lobe.

    (b) After January 1, 1985, permittees or licensees who either (1) commence program tests, or (2) replace their antennas, or (3) request facilities modifications and are issued a new construction permit must satisfy all complaints of blanketing interference which are received by the station during a one year period. The period begins with the commencement of program tests, or commencement of programming utilizing the new antenna. Resolution of complaints shall be at no cost to the
complainant. These requirements specifically do not include interference
complaints resulting from malfunctioning or mistuned receivers, improperly installed antenna systems, or the use of high gain antennas or antenna booster amplifiers. Mobile receivers and non-RF devices such as tape recorders or hi-fi amplifiers (phonographs) are also excluded.
    (c) A permittee collocating with one or more existing stations and beginning program tests on or after January 1, 1985, must assume full financial responsibility for remedying new complaints of blanketing interference for a period of one year. Two or more permittees that concurrently collocate on or after January 1, 1985, shall assume shared responsibility for remedying blanketing complaints within the blanketing area unless an offending station can be readily determined and then that station shall assume full financial responsibility.
    (d) Following the one year period of full financial obligation to satisfy blanketing complaints, licensees shall provide technical information or assistance to complainants on remedies for blanketing interference.

[28 FR 13623, Dec. 14, 1963, as amended at 52 FR 25866, July 9, 1987]

So, no time limit for AM's, and one year for FM's with a number of exceptions.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
WAAF-WEEI AM/FM-WQSX-WRKO-WVEI
20 Guest St / 3d Floor