RadioAmerica On WHMP (Does Jim Cutler Ever Rest?)

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Tue Jul 6 11:30:17 EDT 2004

I'm just back from a jaunt to western Massachusetts, NW
Connecticut and NY State's Capital District. I got a little
too busy to indulge in very much radio geekery, but
for a while I was in the coverage area of WHMP
Northampton/Springfield and got my first taste of
AirAmerica radio, which I believe had just started
on that outlet.  (BTW, their liners etc
are done by the ubiquitous Jim Cutler who
must be the hardest working man in show business
radio division).  For all the talk about the
purported "ameteurishness" of A/A, it sounded
fine as regards production, pacing, and host
professionalism were concerned.  Here I'm
talking about "Unfiltered", the morning show
with Lizz Winstead, Rachel Maddow and
Chuck D (called Chuck  'D' because he must have
gotten mainly 'Ds' in school...he was an
exception to the above observation.)
I didn't get to hear Al Franken, so I'm
commenting on one show on an entire network.
Setting aside viewpoint, A/A may have the
potential, if it survives, to be as useful
a source of bird-fed network talk as any other.
I noted that in the M-St Journal headlines
included in Fybush.com that A/A was verrry
verrry good for KPOJ in  the other Portland.
These of course were ArbiTREND ratings, and
may not represent how well that station will
do over-all, but if network sales representatives
garner more affiliates, I think A/A could
make a go of it.